you're reading...

Money

My Plan To Be A Multi-Millionaire

20120329-035535.jpg

We have lottery fever. I typically don’t buy lottery since the chances of winning is pretty dismal. I believe in the true and proven method of working your butt off to become rich. I believe I have better chances of getting hit with a lightning twice than winning the lottery, but we have the fever.

It started last week when a co-worker asked if we wanted to start a lottery pool when the Jackpot was about $200 million. Twenty dollars each she says. Yikes! That’s a big gamble considering I mull over anything that cost above $20. Anyhow, I went for it. Why not, right? It’s not like the chances of winning is zero. People do win and why not me this time. Well, surprise surprise we did not win- BUT neither did anyone. Misery or should I say losers love company specially if it’s the lottery and shared by everyone.

So, my co-worker suggested we play again but this time we only spend $5 each. We’ve got kids to feed after all. Next drawing came and it was still a no go. Not a single winning number combination. Nothing. Nada. Zip. BUT nobody won again! Do we play one more time? Well of course! I’m already down $25 so it’s either we lose or we win with flying colors at this point. This time around, I was appointed to buy the tickets. Four more people joined in. My co-worker promised to wear her lucky necklace, another said they will root for our numbers- pom pom and all during the drawing. Well, as luck would have it, we hit a few numbers. We have $23 in lottery winnings.Yah pa dooh!

Still, nobody got the jackpot and it has increased to $500 million. That’s half a billion dollars! Are we going to play again? You betcha! How often do you get to have a chance to get your hands on half a billion dollars overnight? Not very many that’s for sure.

So far, I’m down $30 with only $2.87 in winnings to show for. We all know that the chances are ridiculous but we go for it anyways. People spend more money on the lottery when the jackpot is high. Others take lengthly measures to buy the tickets. A “lucky” store in Los Angeles County has a long line and a 3-hour wait to get their tickets. Someone I know drove to different stores to buy a $1 ticket from each store. So, in addition to investing money, people also invest time and gas. I suppose this only seems wasteful when you don’t win.

What would you do if you actually win the lottery?
This is the fun part. You can quit your job. Pay off your bills, travel, help family, donate to charities, and do all the things you’ve always dream of. The posibilities are endless, but let’s rationalize this whole craziness.

What does buying the lottery really get you?
I get to dream what I would do with the money- oh, the places i’ve been and the adventures I have done. After that comes remorse from wasting money. Sometimes, I don’t even look at the winning numbers so I can prolong the fantasy. If you only spend a buck to play, all the day dreaming and possibility is worth it. That is if you seldom play. If you play regularly and start counting on winning, you are in for a heart break my friend. Your money is better off saved.

The odds of winning the Mega Million lottery is 1 in 176 million according to this ticket I’m holding. Just for fun, let’s compare the odds with some other things.

Odds of being struck by lightning in a given year: 1,000,000 to 1

Odds of being an astronaut: 13,200,000 to 1

Odds of winning an Olympic medal: 662,000 to 1

Odds of becoming a pro athlete: 22,000 to 1

Odds of finding out your child is a genius: 250 to 1

Odds of dating a millionaire: 215 to 1

Odds of being audited by the IRS: 175 to 1

Odds of getting hemorrhoids: 25 to 1

Having a genius kid would be pretty awesome. I think I want that over the lottery jackpot. How cool would that be! I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Really, really wanted to. I even went on those nerdy camp things. I thought about majoring in Aeronautical Engineering when I was in high school. I just needed to get better at math, have good vision, and not have vertigo everytime I’m on a moving object. Yup, just a few minor obstacles. I’m not blogging from space so you how that turned out.

Well, I’m off to buying tickets for the next drawing. Half a billion dollars here I come! If I don’t get it, I hope you do. Best of luck!

Discussion

8 Responses to “My Plan To Be A Multi-Millionaire”

1. Good luck! I hope you win! haha. Sometimes, playing the lottery is fun. I only do like twice a year, but it’s nice to dream.

Posted by Daisy @ Add Vodka | March 28, 2012, 5:53 pm
  2. Good luck! I hope you win! haha. Sometimes, playing the lottery is fun. I only do like twice a year, but it’s nice to dream.

Posted by Daisy @ Add Vodka | March 28, 2012, 5:53 pm
  3. Thanks Daisy! It’s the most fun someone can have for a buck. If you only play a buck, that is. :-)

Posted by Parenting and Money | March 28, 2012, 8:17 pm
  4. Wow half a billion dollars!? That’s some serious coin. With money like that you could just buy a ticket on Richard Branson’s shuttle. Good luck.

Posted by Modest Money | March 29, 2012, 9:19 pm
  5. Oh, at least I won two dollars out of the more than half a million. Ha ha ha ha

Posted by Tina | April 1, 2012, 9:45 pm
  6. You know, it always makes me mad when people claim that the lottery is a tax on the stupid. Sure, there ARE those folks who are on public assistance because they can’t afford the basics for their family and yet spend a lot of money on the lottery. And we can all agree that it is a pipe dream.
    But for those of us who play responsibly (I play $2 a week and we can well afford it), I don’t see what the problem is. I could spend $2 on something just as equally “dumb”, say a library fine because I didn’t bother to make sure my books were returned on time. For me it’s enjoyable, not a big loss, it contributes to scholarship money for the kids in Florida (which I hope my own kids will benefit from) and I could win *something*.
    I admittance to a lottery-only elementary school (which is the best in the county) for my kids. Twice. I won a college scholarship for my daughter via a raffle a couple of years ago. Was I really stupid to think that my kids had a chance to win the school lottery and that I might win the college scholarship? Admittedly, I was shooting for the $100 Walmart gift card, so wasn’t I the surprised one when I got the call that I had won the jackpot? lol.
    So I’ll keep on playing my $2 a week as long as I can afford it. Maybe one day I’ll win enough to at least cover my losses, lol. I’m staying away from the casinos, though.
    Good luck with your playing as well!

Posted by Nathalie | April 5, 2012, 9:09 am
    • That is pretty cool that you won a scholarship. I think as long as you play the lottery responsibly, then it is fine. What would be troubling is when people spend significant amount and counting on winning out of desperation.

Posted by Parenting and Money | April 5, 2012, 11:07 pm
  7. Haha! I’ve ignored the lottery for a long time. I get the “somebody has to win” and “it’s only a dollar” thinking – and I waste many dollars for sure. But there’s something about the reaction I get when I say “I don’t play the lottery” that is way more enjoyable than having the chance to win big. I win little every time someone “doesn’t get it – it’s only a dollar and someone has to win.”

Posted by Nick | April 5, 2012, 9:45 am